The inaugural issue of Subjectivities is finally out! You may read the published version of the journal through Issuu or access individual works in our website.
Latest posts on Subjectivities
- Examining International and Indonesian Responses to H5N1 Influenza – Cindy Lin - Examining International and Indonesian Responses to H5N1 Influenza Cindy Lin Introduction In this paper, I will discuss two protracted responses towards the H5N1 influenza outbreak in Indonesia – the Participatory Disease Surveillance and Response (PDSR) designed and imple- mented from 2005 to 2010 and the aftermath of Indonesia’s refusal to share viral samples with WHO… Continue reading Examining International and Indonesian Responses to H5N1 Influenza – Cindy Lin
- Katipunan Kontra Korupsyon – Photos by Terzeus Dominguez - The Priority Development Assistance Fund is a discretionary fund provided to members of the Philippine Congress to fund local projects that fall outside of national-level development programmes. The “pork barrel” came under heavy public criticism and government investigation in 2013 when it was discovered that multiple lawmakers had misappropriated funds allocated to them in an elaborate scam centred on businesswoman Janet Lim-Napoles.… Continue reading Katipunan Kontra Korupsyon – Photos by Terzeus Dominguez
- Sino-Reverie in Laos – Huiying Ng - Sino-Reverie in Laos: Chasing the Chinese Dream of Modernity Huiying Ng Walking through the different highland villages in Laos and Thailand, one might be lured into imagining that those in Laos are still ‘traditional’, whereas those in Thailand have become ‘mod- ern’. Yet the surface superficialities that give rise to this impression belie deeper resemblances… Continue reading Sino-Reverie in Laos – Huiying Ng
- Paintings by Federico “boyD” Dominguez - Subjectivities regularly showcases the creative works of talented artists from across Southeast Asia. In this post, we feature a series of paintings by Federico “boyD” Dominguez, who hails from Mindanao in the Philippines. These paintings were inspired by boyD’s trip to Northern Thailand where he visited the Da-raang people of Palaung Village and Karen people of Dokdaeng Village, Chiang Mai,… Continue reading Paintings by Federico “boyD” Dominguez
- Interview with Dr. John N. Miksic - Interview with Dr. John N. Miksic Interview conducted by Felicia Chia F: A brief introduction of yourself and your role in this department? When did you first enter this department? J: Since 1987, I was already in the History Department in National University of Singapore (NUS) and proposed to start the Southeast Asian Studies Department. In… Continue reading Interview with Dr. John N. Miksic
- Interview with Malaysian Painter Adrian Ho - The realities between pristine natural landscapes and deforestation across Malaysia: An Interview with Adrian Ho Interview conducted by Liani MK L: First of all, thank you for agreeing to this interview. What inspires you to paint the natural landscapes of Borneo in the way that you do, and why have you selected oil painting as a… Continue reading Interview with Malaysian Painter Adrian Ho